Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer downtime

I haven't talked about my running here since the Dipsea, because there really hasn't been much to talk about.  My grand intentions to log some substantial mileage this summer has fallen pretty flat.  Since I was injured for several weeks in April, I figured I'd keep training hard after the Dipsea, and gear up for some summer races.  Following that race, I was both physically and mentally tired, so a week later I decided to back the training off and start building some base mileage.  I backed off, but just haven't gotten back on track yet.  There hasn't been a big reason for my inconsistency, just a lot of little reasons.  I had a minor reaggrivation of my sprained ankle, a busy weekday schedule, felt a little sick for a few days, went on the Mt Whitney trip (which certainly doesn't count as slacking off).  I've been running most days, but just don't feel like I've been training.  With the exception of one week where I managed 59 miles, most weeks haven't been less than 40.

Looking at the big picture, I'd rather be enjoying the sport and running well when I'm 40 than have a couple big years of racing, then be too injured or burned out to keep running. 

I did run 2 races this summer off my limited training.  West Valley decided to enter a distance medly relay (DMR) at a meet in San Francisco.  The DMR consists of a 1200, 400, 800, then 1600 meter leg.  I was asked to show up at practice the Tuesday before to "try-out" for the race, even though I was supposed to be resting.  Still I agreed - it sounded fun - and ran a 600 meter time trial with Alex Mason (a very fast 800 meter runner, but who was coming back from a long injury break).  I basically sprinted all out & ran 1:29, 1 second behind Alex.  Our teammates were thoroughly entertained/amused/impressed with the effort, that they decided Alex & I would both run.  So I ran the 1200 meters to lead us off & managed a 3:15 split - not bad off no speedwork!

The next race was the JP Morgan Corporate Challege - a 3.5 mile race organized by company teams.  I represented the Wells Fargo team for the 4th year in a row & had my best finish yet for this race finishing in 8th place running 18:32 for 3.5 miles.  I was happy given my current fitness, but still waiting for the year when everything comes together in this race. 

I'm spending this week with Dana's family at the beach in New London.  Hopefully all these little aches and pains will go away, and I can get down to some good running!

2 comments:

  1. We're looking forward to cheering you on when we are in SF. Hope you have a great week at the beach; give my love to Dana and all the Waesches. Dad and I have the fondest memories of our time in New London.
    We'll see you at the Autumnal Equinox! Love you, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this quote somewhere, and I thought it was great--and true! "A distance runner is like a field; it needs seasons where it lies fallow in order to be truly fertile."

    Sounds like you're ready for a great fall season.

    ReplyDelete