Sunday, April 19, 2009

A bad race but an amazing bowling game

In major league baseball, a perfect game is when a pitcher throws a complete nine inning game for a victory, without allowing a single opposing hitting to reach base. No hits, errors, walks, hit batsmen, etc. You face 27 batters and record 27 outs. It has only happened 17 times in major league history - the most famous perfect game was Don Larson in the 1956 World Series.

In bowling a perfect game is far more common, but still the ultimate achievement (except for maybe rolling a bunch of perfect games in a row)... No, I'm not about to say I bowled a perfect game, but I had a darn good one! There was one summer of my life where I bowled pretty consistently, and during that time bowled by best score of 219. Since then I've gone just a few times a year, and rarely getting anywhere close to 200. So Saturday night we went out & I took the first turn. STRIKE. Good start, but didn't think much of it. Frame 2: STRIKE. A good one where the pins just explode. Frame 3: you guessed it... STRIKE. A turkey to start the game. Well now, having no idea how I'm so on my game, I'm actually thinking I might put together a good score. After my 4th strike in a row, Dana asks "How are you doing this?" After my 5th strike in a row, one of my buddies refuses to high 5 me because he didn't do that for the first few frames and doesn't want to break my rhythm. I go to roll my 7th frame with a perfect game still in tact. Now I'm feeling pretty nervous, and there's a birthday party with a bunch of little girls running around on the lane right next to me. I slip a little on the approach, and the ball comes in from a different angle but once again... STRIKE! Finally on my 8th frame, I leave 1 pin standing, but pull it back together for the strikes in the 9th and 10th.

Final score... 255!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
X X X X X X X 9- X X9-

Don't bet money on me ever matching that score again!

The magic couldn't spill over to Sunday morning when I ran my 1st 5k of the year. I went out really fast (for my fitness level) with a 4:55 slightly uphill 1st mile. Then I quickly fell apart & finished in 16:22. I was disappointed because I know my workouts point to a much faster time. But hey... at least I'm still in good shape & giving it a go. I hear Callie ran a 5k too! I think I was in the 3rd grade the first time I ran 3 miles. It looks like we have another runner in the family.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome score. Our office has a bowling tournament once a year and last year (I don't remember the exact score) I bowled an awesome 2nd game and our team finished first. This year they asked for nicknames to put on team t-shirts - Mine: "One-Hit-Wonder" because I wanted no expectation that I was going to bowl another game like last year.

    ReplyDelete